Some of the commonly occurring dental problems are: –
DEPARTMENT OF DENTISTRY
It is an embarrassing condition which can reduce a person’s confidence.
- Gum disease
- Dry mouth
- Bacterial growth on tongue
- Oral cancer
Brushing teeth & flossing twice daily.
Brushing tongue dry using tongue scraper.
Rinsing thoroughly with water or mouthwash after meals.
Treatment of the underlying cause.
It occurs when there is a combination of plaque (a sticky substance that forms on teeth) with sugar/starches (of the food we eat) causing production of acids that attack the tooth enamel.
- Brushing and flossing twice daily
- Eating healthy food
- Avoiding food and drinks high in sugar content
- Using mouthwash after meals
- Regular visit to dentist
- Restoring the tooth as early as possible with sealants/ restorative materials.
- Root canal Treatment/extraction if the disease has progressed further.
It is the feeling of pain or discomfort in teeth in certain situations like on having sweets, hot/cold drinks, ice-cream, cold air, cold water etc.
Tooth sensitivity is of 2 types: –
Occurs when the denture (middle layer) of a tooth is exposed due to removal of only protection layer of enamel and cementone.
Brushing the tooth hard
Poor oral hygiene
Brushing & flossing twice daily
Using soft toothbrush
Using de-sensitizing toothpaste
Application of fluoride varnish.
It is the reaction of tooth’s pulp (the nerve centre of the tooth) to pressure and temperature.
- Recent filling
- Fractured Tooth
PREVENTION & TREATMENT: –
- Root canal Treatment (RCT) followed lay crown placement.
- Use of night enamel in case of Clenching/Grinding.
It is an infection in the gums surrounding the teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Improper brushing.
- Brushing & flossing twice daily
- Using mouthwash
- Regular visit to dentist.
- Gum massaging
- Extraction of mobile teeth followed by their replacement.
There are dental problems related to malalignment of teeth like crowding/rotation/outward or inward.
- Oral habits like thumb sucking tongue thrusting etc.
- Discrepancy in jaw size
- Proclined/Reclined jaw
- Retained milk teeth
PREVENTIVE & TREATMENTS: –
- Early correction of the underlying cause.
- Orthodontic treatment using appliances.